Thursday, May 22, 2008

Feeling the love

I am sooooo a product of my generation.

I was born in the 1960's and grew up in a fairly liberal town populated with a mix of mild conservatives and way out there hippie liberals.

It was small enough that most shop owners knew me by name but just big enough that they weren't reporting back to my parents on any of my teenage antics.

Now I'm raising my own children. Of course, I wish I could give them that kind of childhood but I'm slowly realizing it's not 1974 anymore.

To put it in perspective, I'm the kind of parent who...

  • made sure my kids knew all the words to Neil Young's Cinnamon Girl at an early age
  • would inform their teachers that I'd pick and choose which homework assignments I thought were necessary...I don't believe in mindless busywork
  • tried my best to keep the kids as far away from the television as possible
  • would rather they play outdoors
  • can't count how many homemade tie-dye shirts they've made between them
Unfortunately, when they are teenagers everything gets turned on it's head. All of a sudden they start thinking for themselves...who knew?

My days of influencing them are surely coming to an end.

I'm still trying though. Cat Stevens was playing in the car yesterday and I didn't hear any complaining...so maybe I can still make a difference.

2 comments:

bookbabe said...

Baby, I don't know where you find the time to do all that you do in the day! Keep on writing.

Your California spouse

monkey girl said...

Hey my sweetie pie,
Aren't you up a little late?